Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Last Rose and My UFOs

Gina Lollobrigida is the last of the roses planted in winter to begin flowering:

She looks a bit pale as we have another grey day today. I'm sure she will be brighter when the sun shines.

This year I participated in an online UFO activity where our unfinished projects were numbered, and someone pulled a number out of a hat for us to work on each month. That helped me get seven projects finished, and a few others moved to the next step. But it petered out before the year did. I don't know if anyone else was actually working on their UFOs, and then the person running it seemed to lose interest as well. I did find it helpful, though.

So I've found a similar project for 2017, being run by Judy Laquidara at Patchwork Times. There are quite a few participants signed up already, so I hope this one lasts the whole year!

Our first requirement is to write a blog post showing the UFOs we want to work on, and then link that post to Judy's 2017 UFO list page. This is my list, and here's the link.


1. Berry Delicious - swapped to number 9
Red Delicious was Esther Aliu's first free BOM, back in 2008. Mine is Berry Delicious because I included purple as well as red, and has been a top since July 2010. I need to get this one finished by November, as my quilt guild will have a "Red and White" theme to their quilt show this year. This may not count as red and white, but I'm definitely not going to make another red and white quilt between now and then!

2. 36-patch blocks
Top assembled in October 2011. I'm not sure if it needs a border, or something else added to it, so I've done nothing to it since then.

3. Pentagon Sunflowers - swapped to number 9 number 1.
Started in 2011, and I'm not sure how long it has been like this. It may need some more pieces made, then I'll appliqué it to a background/border.

4. Easy Street
Bonnie Hunter's 2012 mystery. Has been a complete top since July 2016.

5. Summer Solstice
 Celtic Solstice was Bonnie Hunter's 2013 mystery. Was basted in February 2016.

6. Wild and Goosey
Started September 2014, top completed November 2016.

7. Grand Illusion
Bonnie Hunter's 2014 mystery. Has been a top since January 2015.

8. Allietare
Bonnie Hunter's 2015 mystery. It does have a border, but I don't seem to have a photo of  it since the border was added. Has been a top since January 2016.

9. En Provence - swapped to number 3
No photo yet, as this is Bonnie Hunter's 2016 mystery which I am still working on. But it will most likely be a top early in the year, and I would like to get it finished before Bonnie runs another mystery. I have too many unfinished mystery quilts!

As well as these I have a couple of ongoing projects that aren't really UFOs at this stage. One is a handwork project for doing in meetings, and another consists of blocks which I am making from the scraps of other projects, so I will continue working on them through the year. There are also a couple of other projects I would like to start, but I won't do that until the UFO list is shorter than it is now!

So, I have less than 12 UFO projects to work on at present. If the number 10 is drawn, I will work on my 1, if 11 I will work on 2, and if 12 I will work on 3. That way my oldest UFOs will get 2 months each, and will be that much more likely to be finished.


9 comments:

Marly said...

The sunflowers quilt is so lovely, I hope it's number comes up soon.

Jan said...

I love the colours in your Berry Delicious. I have Esthers quilts in my 'to do' list - I saw your Hazel on the other blog - it looks beautiful!

Jo said...

Great idea. I tried doing this this year but with my husband havering a stroke, me fracturing my ankle, us selling our house and moving 5 hours away and now job hunting things have been a bit hard to do them. I am happy with what I have achieved and hope to get some more UFO's done next year though.

Jeanette said...

A great UFO list, each one deserves to be finished. 2017 will be the year of basting and quilting.

mac said...

I put a spotty border on my scrappy trip around the world. It took a lot of searching to find the correct fabric. Love all your completed tops

Mary said...

I really need to do something to get moving along on my UFOs, signing up for a challenge sounds like a good idea

Sharon Siacci said...

Great quilt tops

Angie in SoCal said...

Wow, you have a lot of gorgeous tops. I see a year of quilting ahead of you. I so encourage you to push on - your tops deserve to be quilts and admired. Love your version of Esther's pattern.

Jennifer said...

lots of great quilts (love all the mysteries. I did 3 of them, but sat out this year) good luck on much progress!