Thursday, January 8, 2015

More Babies

This morning I found that all seven of the TreeProject boxes now have seeds germinating. Here are the five new ones today.

Grey box, Eucalyptus microcarpa:

Manna gum, Eucalyptus viminalis:

Messmate, Eucalyptus obliqua:

Red stringybark, Eucalyptus macrorhyncha:

Yellow box, Eucalyptus melliodora:

Last night we had thunder and lightning, and today seeds are popping out of the soil.  It may just be co-incidence, but I've noticed this happen in previous years, too. Thunderstorms seem to be followed by bulk germination. Or perhaps all these seeds would have popped up overnight anyway!

1 comment:

Julierose said...

Interesting about that thunderstorm and germination. I read a long time ago that to stake my roses up with copper wire would induce germination...I never did try it though--hugs, Julierose