Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Day at the Coast

On the way I stopped at Roraima Nursery in Lara, where these plants were for sale:
They appear to be the same as the crinums I have noticed around this suburb since rescuing a pot full last April, so I was interested to learn they are "Crinum x Powellii". I was also interested in the price - $20 each. That makes that pot full I rescued rather valuable!

In Ocean Grove I was happy to see this beautiful flowering gum (Corymbia ficifolia) in full flower:
as it is one of two we gave to the owners about 15 years ago. It is nice to see how they have thrived and become such beautiful trees. They attract several different honeyeaters to the garden.

We had lunch at the "Rip View Bistro" where you can watch ships pass through The Rip on their way to Melbourne or Geelong.

This is "Sentosa Leader", a vehicle carrier:
I've been in one of these, and they are like floating multi-storey car parks.

This one is a tanker, "Chang Hang Feng Cai", heading to Melbourne:
And this is "Ocean Future", a bulk carrier on its way to Geelong:
I really enjoyed watching the ships go by.

1 comment:

Maria said...

What a lovely spot...and the ships are so close! The flowering gum photo is magnificent...gorgeous colour. My goodness the pot of crinums that you rescued was quite a find at those prices :-)