Saturday, July 30, 2011

Open House Weekend

First day of the Melbourne Open House weekend. And the Craft And Quilt Fair. A recipe for sore feet!

First stop was the former Public Records Office (Births Deaths and Marriages), which has been refurbished as a law school. Grand staircase:

Modern architecture addition:

Then across the road to the former Land Titles Office, now empty. The solid slate fire-proof shelving now holds only dust:

Curved bluestone staircase between levels:
Who knows what this space will eventually become?

Lots and lots of walking and a few other buildings followed.

Eventually I headed for Jeff's Shed, where the exhibition was open until 7pm. I didn't last that long, but I did walk around for a few more hours. Lots of wonderful quilts to look at, and lots of stuff to buy. However I made only one purchase, which I might post about when I've had a chance to use it.

Amongst all the quilts I found this ribbon pinned to a friend's quilt:
This was the first quilt she started (although she did finish one or two others before finishing this one, I think). So winning a ribbon is a fantastic achievement! My tiny contribution - I was one of a group of friends who got together to help her baste the quilt on the large tables at the local neighbourhood house.

No comments: