Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wattle and Bee

Since the bees arrived, I've taken a lot more notice of what is flowering when, and which plants the bees are interested in. It is fun to watch them coming and going from the hive, then walk around the nearby streets to try and find what is attracting them. As I walked past this wattle in flower today, I noticed the buzz of bees and stopped to take a look.

They may not be our bees, as this is about 2km from home. Although that would be within their range, I think they find plenty of food closer than that. Either way, it is interesting that there seems always to be food available for them, as long as the weather is warm enough for them to fly.

3 comments:

Dee said...

You have your own hive? Do you get much honey? Yummmm.

Vireya said...

Yes but this is the first year we have had them. You have to let them build up their supplies for the first year so they have enough food to get through winter, then you can start harvesting the honey in the second year. So we are looking forward to some honey in the coming spring/summer.

Dee said...

Oh, I didn't know that. So it calls for a little patience then. I'm sure it will be worth the wait!