Monday, January 15, 2018

Started

 First block quilted.
Back view.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Basting

Cleared off my cutting table, used it to iron the quilt top and backing, then basted this quilt:
I had the quilt half done when I realised I had forgotten to trim the setting triangles and the corners:
Too late! I can trim them once it is quilted. I'll just have to remember not to quilt too close to the edges.

And because I know my progress on this quilt is really not that interesting to anyone else (although I like being able to check that last year I basted the mystery on the 16th January so I'm ahead two days this time) here's a honeysuckle flower in the back yard:



Saturday, January 13, 2018

Slow Sewing

Today I had big plans to get the mystery quilt basted. It was the first sit & sew day of the year, so I took along my quilt top, the backing, and a bag full of large batting offcuts to piece together for this quilt.

I had hoped to be able to make the "frankenbatting" with just two offcuts, but the pieces weren't quite as large as I had hoped. I ended up needing 4 pieces, which meant hand-sewing three joins across the width of the quilt rather than just one.

Doesn't that make an exciting picture? Doing the three joins took almost the whole day - from 11 to 3, anyway, with breaks for lunch, chatting, cuppas, stretching my back. But after I finished the last seam I had no energy left to tackle the actual basting. And everyone else was packing up for the day, so I did the same.

And just because it is more interesting than the top photo:
Crinum lily flowering again under the back verandah.

Now my job will be to clear off the cutting table so that I can baste the quilt on it in sections.



Friday, January 12, 2018

Week Thirty-Three

This week started off hot, hot, hot:
My first purple day! Although, of course, my camera doesn't like purple so this isn't an accurate representation of how that centre hexagon really looks. You may remember last week I was in two minds about wanting to reach 40 on Saturday. And although it was an unpleasant day, with high winds and extreme fire danger, I was secretly happy to make a hexie in a new colour. There is one hotter colour, but I won't mind if I never use it - black for days over 45 degrees. The poor Sydney-dwellers reached 47 this week, and I don't envy them at all.

After that purple, the rest of the week was quite mild:

12/01/2018    26.2    orange
11/01/2018    33.1    red
10/01/2018    24.1    yellow
9/01/2018      20.9    yellow
8/01/2018      26.6    orange
7/01/2018      23.9    yellow
6/01/2018      40.8    purple

This week completes another row of my quilt. Here are all 33 weeks so far:

The top row is still not attached, as I'm still considering my options for the corner squares.

Linked to Sarah's weekly weather report, where some other participants have been experiencing a "snow bomb".

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Young Rosellas

A couple of young crimson rosellas:
They will be crimson when they get their full adult feathers. For now they are a bit patchy. These ones seem to have left their parents, and are flying round with a group of juveniles. But for the last couple of weeks there has been a younger one flying around with an adult bird, and the youngster is constantly bouncing off our windows. With a loud "bang". I don't know if there is something wrong with it, of if rosellas are generally slow learners. But I think it has hit every window, some more than once. If there is something wrong with it, continuously flying into windows won't be helping.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Big Moth

Moth found on a post today:


A rather large moth:


How big?


That big!

It is probably a Wattle Goat Moth, Endoxyla lituratus. The larvae are borers in wattle trees for a number of years. The moth never eats, and only lives for about a week after it emerges.

Monday, January 8, 2018

Protecting the Edibles

Over the last month or so, there has been a lot of work going on around the orchard and vegie garden.

First a lot of poles were erected, but I don't seem to have any photos of that stage.

Then chicken wire began to cover the whole thing:



So how do you cover a construction like this with chicken wire?

Cut a length of wire, and attach it at one end:

Then with the help of a ladder and a rake, spread the wire across the supports,

and when you get to the other side,
use the tractor to pull it taut!
Then there's lots of clipping it all into place.

Once the roof was finished, the sides were wrapped in chicken wire too:
The chooks had been confined to a small area while this was all happening, but on the first of January they were finally allowed the run of a section of the orchard:
Which they enjoyed immensely! It was also good when we had the hot day on Saturday that the chooks could find themselves spots in the damp soil under the fruit trees to keep themselves cooler.

On Friday the very last bits of wire were secured:
And the orchard and vegie garden are now almost bird and possum proof. Almost, because there is one last job to do:
The area above that gate is still open, so a larger gate is required. The gate was going to be enlarged today, but we had a few other things to take care of instead. Maybe tomorrow. And once the gate is enlarged, it will also need chicken wire, because those openings are large enough for a rosella to get through

I haven't shown much of the vegie garden before, so here's a few shots of it:



 Lots of lovely edibles growing!